Ready, aim, fire, it’s Sagittarius season. Sagittarius, represented by the centaur archer, is a mutable fire sign and the 9th on the astrological calendar.
Sagittarians are known risk takers, earth shakers and enthusiastic makers. Sagittarians are smart and fair-minded but they do their own thing and go their own way (and don’t you dare get in their way).
Sagittarius is a mutable sign–mutable meaning it transitions us from one season to the next. This cocktail literally transitions your leftover Thanksgiving cranberries into a festive, late fall cocktail.
While Sagittarians are fair-minded, they will argue (and perhaps preach). So don’t f*uk with a Sagittarius or you’ll end up with an actual bloody lip–they’re a fire sign, after all.
For the candied cranberries:
- Cook ½ sugar and 2 TBL water in a small saucepan over low heat, stirring until sugar dissolves
- Add cranberries and cook 10-15 minutes. Let mixture stand at room temperature overnight
- Drain cranberries and place in a shallow bowl or plate. Coat the cranberries in the remaining sugar and let dry for at least 30 minutes.
For the cocktail:
- Combine cranberries, sugar, orange peel, rosemary and 1 ½ cup of water in a small saucepan over medium heat. Cover and cook until cranberries have popped (about 10 minutes).
- Uncover and reduce the heat to a simmer and cook for another 10 minutes.
- Strain through a mesh sieve or strainer, reserving the syrup and discarding the solids.
- Fill a cocktail shaker or mason jar with ice and add 2 oz gin and 5 oz cranberry syrup; shake vigorously.
- Strain and serve in a coupe glass (or a small glass of your choosing).
- Stab a few candied cranberries through an archer’s arrow (or a toothpick) for garnish